EVENTions is the event management company I founded in Houston, TX in 1996, and now operate as a consulting business in Raleigh, NC. It grew steadily to become the third largest company of its type in Houston with five full-time staff by 2003. EVENTions was respected for its clean style, creativity, great value, and flawless execution. In 2004, we won an international award from the International Special Events Society to add to two local chapter awards.
Some of the highlights in EVENTions evolution …
Signed a profit sharing agreement with the Houston Marathon to manage the Health & Fitness Expo.
Contracted with Mitsubishi Caterpillar Forklift to consult, then develop and produce their new product dealer meetings – 1650 attendees, working in cooperation with Disney Business Productions.
Began a six-year relationship with Bertek Pharmaceuticals to produce their national sales conferences, incentive trips, and management meetings.
Contracted a series of twenty-one HEB Grocery grand openings, each with a different theme, for 1500 pp. each.
Created a four-way agreement / partnership with the City, Hermann Park, H-E-B and ourselves to develop and produce an annual, month-long holiday festival called Holiday Lights in Hermann Park
Contracted with Lopez Negrete Communications to produce a community outreach campaign for Tyson Foods.
Conceived and produced an event marketing campaign for Comerica Bank with fourteen branch openings that yielded over $3M in new deposits.
Contracted by the Powell Group to produce a new plant opening for Hansen Precast featuring Herman’s Hermits.
Became the agency of record for Technip USA and produced associate events to aid retention, then their largest client hospitality event at Offshore Drilling Technology Conference.
In the course of running EVENTions, I have been fortunate to hold positions and earn awards that given me great personal growth and satisfaction:
- board member and president of the Houston Chapter of Intl. Special Events Society for eight years
- ISES International MarCom Chairman for two years, which included rebranding the association
- ISES international award for “Best Event With a Legacy”
- “Founders Award” by the Houston Chapter of ISES
- Houston ISES awards for “Best Event Design Over $50,000” and “Best Non-Profit Event Over $150,000”
But to create the magic in the event business, you have to stretch the boundaries, take a few risks. These would be my personal milestones:
- shot fireworks off the roof of a grocery store; staged Cirque Du Soleil performers in another
- staged public exhibitions of kung fu by the true Shaolin Temple Monks from China
- contracted a tent to encompass a pool and backyard gardens, and put a stage across the pool, to create a Tuscan party theme
- created a roller coaster out of air tubes and scaffolding on the floor of the Astrodome
- wrote a script and choreographed forklift trucks with broadcast talent for 100 VIP customers
- designed two first-place exhibit booths, one for AT&T at a Houston business expo, the other for Flying Food Group at an international airline trade show
- created a life-sized Monopoly game as a corporate mixer
- wrote a proposal that was runner-up to produce Playboy’s Super Bowl party (still used my theme, “Heaven and Hell” …)
- contracted a song and dance troupe to kick off a holiday party to “Rock Me, Amadeus”
- developed both an expo and an educational conference as fundraisers for Houston ISES
- clouded a 3500 sq. ft. ballroom ceiling in twenty-five minutes
- cast, costumed, and choreographed models to be alien queens visiting Earth
- staged a three-day conference with a Mrs. Doubtfire character as emcee
- added master classes and live demonstrations to a health expo
Presently, my focus is on consulting with companies and municipalities interested in developing signature events.
Many, many thanks to the people and event companies back in Houston that were significant in our many successes: Art Attack!/Merry Schooley (Elaine, Pedro), Bright Star Productions/Frank Tritico and Malcolm Hackney (and Eric), Frow’s Show Business/Judy Frow (Mary, Gene), Stage Directions/Richard Hoggatt and James Mackey, Best Entertainers/Victoria Barclay (and Louis), LD Systems/Andy DiRaddo (Mike, Brian), Spirit Expo/George Smith (and Bess), Frank Design/Frank Yoculan (and Tom), Aztec Party and Tent/Christina Acosta (and Mary Jo), Casablanca Prods./Will LeBlanc, Turn Key Events/Ron Cobb, Short Public Relations/Kari Short (and Piper), Melange Catering/Linda West, Dancie Ware Public Relations (Christie), … And to my extra special clients, Holly Montalbano, Don Henn, John Lauletta, Fred Facker, and Susan Lewis.